Monday, April 20, 2009

Just a Regular Guy

I'm an entrepreneur stuck in a regular guy's life - really!

I've had and continue to have so many different ideas, but I just can't seem to take the next step to turn them into anything. I gave it a go after an IT layoff in the fall of 2003 and turned a woodworking hobby into a business. I loved everything about it and I did fairly well, but I just didn't have the cash reserves to sustain through the economic downturn.

So now what? I've taken on a job with a salary - which is nice after being paycheck-free for four years. OK cool - money is coming in, my wife is happy, I can support my kids, I can pay the bills....big friggin deal! Don't get me wrong - I do value a good home life, but I want something more. I miss the control - the sole decision making - the constant "in-my-head" thinking about where to take my business next - the feeling of winning over the next client - something that's completely mine!

Well, I'm jumping in again and I want to take you with me!

I've a really cool idea and I want to turn it into a company and my hope is to document the entire process here. The thought being that if I commit myself to writing about each step, I'll stay motivated to keep moving forward.

So, join me on this regular guy adventure and watch while the entire idea unfolds - through my triumphs and my struggles.


New ideas
Family support
Business planning
Product/company naming
Protecting an idea
The market
Manufacturers
Time management
Self motivation
Networking
Prototyping
Branding
Pricing
Many more...

My hope is that these topics will not only include the practical, but also be intermingled with the nitty gritty drama of being regular.

Very recently, a good friend of mine, Steve Sarsfield said something to me that really struck a cord after I floated the idea of blogging an entire business. It was nothing terribly prophetic in the great scheme of quotable quotes, but it was much simpler yet more powerful. He said..."do it!"


OK...here I go!

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to a fun and introspective blog from you, Joe. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe... You know you can always count on my support! Good Job Regular Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unni, wishing you all the best with two great ideas-this blog, and your new baby-the new project...Now bring it to fruition!
    MPL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, there's nothing 'regular' about you!!! Your friend Steve was right, DO IT!!!! Great to see the fire still burning in you. Make it happen.

    D. Hart

    ReplyDelete